Champagne For My Real Friends

Zeitgeisters,

I must make mention yet again of Crackbook as Facebook is affectionately known.

Facebook is 2007. It's now. It's today! Yesterday, myspace was Facebook and one day soon Facebook will be a ghost town that even the tumbleweed will avoid. Social Networking. Getting worried about how many Facebook friends one has. An acquaintance of mine pointed out that I didn't have very many Facebook friends. I have 90 plus. Some of my actual friends have 200 plus.

I am happy with my modest group ("Sure, Mr Trivia that's what a no-mates loser would say"). I don't have 90 people whom I would call a friend in real life. My job puts me into contact with many people that I am friendly with and most of them are lovely, witty folks who know way too much about popular culture.

But if you define a friend as someone who will share your woes, lend you money in a pinch and can see through your carefully tailored social costume and yet still accept you, then I don't have anywhere near 90 of these.

Some people are popular. This is in not always the same as having a lot of friends. That's part of the trick of Facebook. It conflates the idea of friendship and popularity and treats two things as a single social phenomenon. Facebook (and other social networking sites and applications) take the notion of "friend" and brands it for the purpose of making money.

And that's cool; we're all capitalists since the Berilin Wall came down.

Let me leave you with something I have circulated on Facebook. I'm pretty sure Mr Sebastian hasn't seen it. Maybe we could get it to him somehow; using the power of six degrees of separation.

Elevate the Insignificant,

Mr Trivia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's with George Eads' Hair?

What’s with Bradley Whitford’s Hair?

Who Is Eleanor of Aquitaine?