Scramble, Chaps!






I was raised in the hospitality biz. My people are itinerant restaurateurs. Travelling from Perth suburb to Perth Suburb they established restaurants and a lunch bar. My mother had a knack of making good food, which continues, but only domestically these days. Her prime time eatery days are behind her.

I don’t pretend to be Master Chef’s Matt Preston – I’d look terrible in a smoking jacket and cravat for a start – but dammit, I know what I like. When I go to a café that makes breakfast, I always order some form of bacon and eggs. I think this basic dish is a good test of whether or not the cooking generally is any good. And this is the sort of thing a questing, pretentious git like me needs to know.

Those of you who have chanced upon me at my other Internet hidey-holes will know that I am the sort of person who will order bacon and eggs at a café, photograph it, then rate it.  Believe me, I am a trial to myself sometimes. I have been haphazardly engaged in this over the last twelve months or so, but in December I have applied myself more earnestly to this great human endeavour.

This idea has been shamelessly plagiarised from my friend Ed, who used to do this very same thing – rating the quality of the same dish – Eggs Benedict in his case – all around our dry, windy city.  He says the ulterior motive was to gaze upon waitresses. I will entertain no such base frippery whilst engaged in my quest.

If you would like to join me in this important, dangerously high-cholesterol work, please consider joining my Facebook Group - Bacon & Egos Facebook Group. You too can review this simple, honest dish and share your findings with a world hungry to know where it can get a decent plate of B&E.

The Bacon and Scrambled Eggs pictured above was served up on Saturday the 5th of December 2009 at C-15 Espresso on Risely Street, Applecross. Cost unrecorded. Rating 7 /10.

My mate Ed’s Eggs Benedict is in the background. He is a frequent breakfast excursioner and he still tends to order Eggs Florentine or Eggs Benedict. We were at the Mends Street Dome in South Perth yesterday morning and because what they call Hollandaise Eggs contains spinach and ham or salmon, Ed felt it was more proper to call it Eggs Benetine or Florendict. So take head Domites. Your public hath spoken.

Mr Trivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's with George Eads' Hair?

What’s with Bradley Whitford’s Hair?

Who Is Eleanor of Aquitaine?