Groovy Kind of Love

Hi Zeitgeisters,

You may recall "The Non-Ironic Use of Groovy" post. Responses were varied, but I think its an idea whose time has come. Again. And that's groovy not "groovy".



Here are some of the responses:

When I say groovy I have taken to saying it in earnest, so there's one for the records.
Steve


I think groovy is eligible for a resurgence... after all .... did 'cool' ever leave? I don't think so, or at least not in my time, cool has been happening since it happened.

Bring on the groovy I say - it's one of those nice sounding words like Google, Yahoo, Pay Pal, YouTube. In fact, I think Groovy will make a huge comeback to the point of being appropriated for use as the name of a multinational behemoth internet startup come world domination force. Then, alas, groovy will once again become about as cool as 'ibm'.

Evan


It’s a situational thing, it’s a personality thing.

You can get away with groovy on a face value level – I could actually legitimately see you saying “Groovy belt” and it was believable. But if you were, say, in a Heads of Department meeting, not sure it would swing the same way.

Me? Not so much, I think me saying groovy would be just not believable, so I would need to go with the ironic. But then, if I was at a (…) party and it came up, then maybe it would be passable.

So – situational, personality – it’s all contextual.

Lisa


Groovy is perfectly acceptable and it’s about time the world admits it; I myself have been using it with some brio for years now.

Death to irony...we mean it maaaaaaaan.

Cathie


I use groovy all the time. Mainly because Ash (Evil Dead) made it forver cool.
Tim M


As a man whose outrageous use of world-class irony in front of mere students led to such abundent confusion, I say you use whatever words you want, where and when you like. Who is anyone else to judge you on your adjective appreciation for young women's fashions?

This comes from a man who used "gadzooks" as an expression of surprise for many years in his 20s.

Fletch


As with most terms that have walked through the valley of death, you really must pick your moment ˆ and company ˆ carefully when trying to pull off serious use. I think it is too early for groovy‚ to make a full scale comeback. No matter how hard I try to push it out of my mind, it always brings a shaggy haired stoner n a green t-shirt to mind. And that isn’t good for anyone.
Liz S


To answer the question about the term ‘Groovy’, I highly doubt it will come back into fashion. The only way it could make a come back is if Paris Hilton stops saying ‘That’s hot’ and starts saying ‘That’s groovy’…which I highly doubt!
Candice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's with George Eads' Hair?

What’s with Bradley Whitford’s Hair?

Who Is Eleanor of Aquitaine?