Missing Links


If you've somehow become sucked into this 'blog through a Linked In post that came through this morning, my apologies. My erstwhile frenemy, Phil Jeng Kane, hit the wrong tickbox and somehow an invitation became a post.

Modern Life, eh? Did the Cro Mags or Paleolithics have this problem? Did Neanderthals ever front at some kind of ritual gathering only to discover that the burning message tree in the valley below was not, in fact, meant for their inbox? Then lots of awkward standing around with one tribe wondering if it should offer these interlopers a haunch of their roast mastadon (pre-history fans send your haughty emails now).

During the Middle Ages, did The Pope ever receive a hastily scrawled vellum saying something like:
"Look, if you get a parchment from me and the rest of the monks at the Order of St Benedict referring to you in less than glowing terms Your Holiness, then it wasn't actually meant for you - we were having a laugh with the Heironymites of the Observance. It was just a bit of fun between us lads." 
Catholic scholars please send your dismissive emails now.

In the First World War did anyone ever send a carrier pigeon with the message: "LUNCH THWARTED OSLO!" only to follow it minutes later with another pigeon and another message: "We meant - LAUNCH THE ATTACK 0500!  Damn Autocorrect - LOL!" (World War I historians–you know the drill).

We are in the process of devising many different and dazzling methods of communications every day. And by "we" I mean geeks who are pulling down huge salaries. Me, I'm just some guy who bitches about the lameness of Google Plus and makes jokes about Twitter.

All I'm saying is - think before you tick that box on a site or application that you are only partially savvy with. Particularly if that site or app has permission to access your information. You may end up accidentally contacting your entire email address book.

See you in The Matrix, kids.

Mr Trivia

Comments

acatinatree said…
Since I recently spammed everyone who has ever sent me an email (amazing utility, Gmail, thanks for automatically turning everyone into a 'Contact') with a LinkedIn invitation, this is a sharply salty seasoning of my wounds. Thanks Mr Trivia.
Amazing how easy it is to undo all those years of effort effacing myself from the lives of former lovers, loan sharks, my family...one foolish tick in the wrong box and they now know precisely in which building I can be found during business hours. A hit is surely in the post....
And I make my living from attempting savviness in such things.
Easily done, impossible to undo. I'm sure there's a valuable lesson in life in there somewhere...
Mr Trivia said…
I have fielded a number of "What the hell is this?" emails this morning. "Sorry, I'm an idiot and Linked In usability leaves a lot to be desired" is the only possible reply.

Good to know I'm not the only one to have taken this wrong turning, acatinatree.

Popular posts from this blog

What's with George Eads' Hair?

What’s with Bradley Whitford’s Hair?

Who Is Eleanor of Aquitaine?