Geeks Versus Nerds




Zeitgeisters,

I have a friend who has her own wheelbarrow theory that she pushes in order to define the difference between nerds and geeks. She says that a geek is someone with a passion or area of interest whereas a nerd is someone with a true expertise in a subject. Therefore your pal who spends a lot of on their PC, likes to use netspeak, is an early adopter of Google gizmos and has a World of Warcraft account may be a computer geek, but might know very little about actual programming or coding. I was speaking with my neighbour, an IT guy from Switzerland and discovered that he knows almost nothing about social networking on the Internet – so he would be a nerd.

So, sticking with this theoretical categorisation it becomes clear that almost everyone I know is some kind of geek. I was at Media Dell//Arte Xmas Lunch on Friday talking to a couple of friends who are animation/sci-fi geeks. One of them was drawing a series of robots on the paper tablecloth. Bob and Vincent from The Black Hole were there - as well as Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet and Robot from Lost In Space. I made the grievous error of mixing up the last two. I was corrected. That’s what geeks do. (I’m talking to you spottyjunglecat).

It put me in mind of the conversation between Simon the computer guy and Gareth in series 2 of The Office UK. Although having said that, I’m probably wrong and it’s actually a conversation between Oggy and Gareth in series 1.

“You know when he's fighting Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon?”
“No?”
“You not seen that?”
“No?”
“Have you not, I can’t... that is a classic.”
“No, I’ve not seen him fight Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon, I’ve seen him fight Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon.”
“Ah, that’s what I meant, that's what I meant.”
“Is it? Why did you say have you seen him fight Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon? He fight’s Bob Wall in both, but Norris is only in Way of the Dragon.”
“Yeah, I know, so when he’s fighting Chuck Norris-”
“In what?”
“In Way of the Dragon.”
“Correct. At last.”


Elevate the Insignificant

Mr Trivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's with George Eads' Hair?

What’s with Bradley Whitford’s Hair?

Who Is Eleanor of Aquitaine?